Wild Thyme eco-cottage is solar powered and has a solar thermal water system. It is a traditional Bulgarian house built using age old methods in stone and mudbrick with a timber roof. The front and back have 1920’s art deco plasterwork now fully restored and painted in the original colour scheme. The house was used as a tailor’s shop for many years with the family living on the first floor.
Downstairs, the old shop and barn now comprise an open plan kitchen, dining area and living room. The modern kitchen includes all necessary equipment including a low energy fridge run from solar panels.
The exposed beams and mud plaster give this space an organic rustic feel. It is a comfortable place to unwind and share meals.
Upstairs is the traditional wooden balcony providing the perfect place to take cover from the heat of the summer sun. Enjoy a cool lazy afternoon read while looking over the garden. Two airy and light double bedrooms, a small single bedroom, the library and the family bathroom lead off from the balcony.
There is an additional double bedroom with its own bathroom in a separate annex in the garden. (Please note that this bathroom is not open in the winter months.)
As an eco-retreat, we offer our guests the experience of living a low impact low energy lifestyle. This means not only drawing energy from the sun, but also having the choice of using an odourless no- flush compost toilet. Ours has been built into a hay loft next to the house.
Here you can reflect on the goats and sheep who used to live there as you sit on the throne. You may also like to dwell on the future and the good fertiliser you are producing! The walk back to the house takes you beside the box hedge with a sneak view of the hill and its ancient ruins overlooking the village.
One of the barns has been converted into an outside living space. Here you can shelter from the midday sun shaded by an old walnut tree or use the bbq to cook your own organic vegetables and meat from the farm. Enjoy the sound of cicadas and the view over the Thracian hillfort.
The Garden room has its own bathroom(not available in winter) located in converted grain store which gives it a distinctive feel that has been compared to a Japanese wooden building. Washing here is a beautiful thing. The water is heated with solar panels and there is no shortage of sunshine in the summer when cloudless blue skies are the norm.
‘Thank you very much for having us in this beautiful, fairytale like place. We enjoyed the lightness and the amazing organic food … as well as your very sincere and open hearts. We felt very welcome and well taken care of.’
Meru & Anand, Bulgaria
Wild Thyme Features
- Includes 2 large double bedrooms, 1 small single, a large twin room, a chill-out space with day-bed, 1 large living room, modern kitchen, dining area, library/reading room, modern solar showers, 2 bathrooms, an outdoor odourless compost toilet
- Solar power and solar showers
- Wood fired central heating system & woodburner
- Bedding and towels provided (we also have towels for use at the local pool)
- Cot, high chair & potty available
- Large entertainment area, including open barn space, under leafy walnut tree with view over Thracian hillfort
- Short walk to village centre
- Located at edge of village with easy access to hills and open countryside
- Selection of boardgames and books
- Internet connection (bring your own laptop)
- No television
- Non smoking
- 1 double room
- 1 twin room
- 1 double room with own bathroom
- 1 single room
- Double sofabed in living room
- A cot
Make Wild Thyme your home for the perfect family holiday or group.
Sleeps 7 in 2 doubles, 1 twin & a single. Room for 2 more on the sofabed.
200 BG Lev/night
Bed & Breakfast
After a night in a cosy bed, enjoy our fresh farm breakfast of homemade bread, fresh eggs, milk from our goats, homemade goat's yoghurt & cheese, preserves and freshly brewed coffee or a selection of teas.
50 BG Lev/person/night